[aisle] High School Book Club

Renee Kozeal renee.kozeal at phs-il.org
Thu Nov 18 12:12:18 CST 2021

I've been partnering with the children's librarian from our public library
for years on a shared book club. We meet at the high school during the
school year. For years, we met during lunch which entailed two hours of
sitting in the library for us two adults--since we have three lunches, we
had three separate meetings. It was really too much, so this year we are
meeting after school for 45 minutes. We read one book a month that is voted
on by the students. We map out the months at our first meeting of the year
-- by this I mean what genre we will read for each month. We have found
it's good for the kids, and for us, to expose them to different genres.
Generally, we include realistic fiction, sci-fi/fantasy, nonfiction,
graphic novel, classic, etc. The students help create this list. We meet
twice a month, usually the first and third Thursdays of the month. The
first meeting of the month is a book discussion and the second meeting of
the month is for book selection. My partner and I select titles to talk at
the selection meetings, but students are welcome to submit ideas for books,
as well. Each student gets two votes; they can cast both for one book or
split their votes and vote for two books. We order the copies through ILL.
We are very relaxed about reading the book as we don't want it to seem like
it's an assignment, but it's so much better when at least some of them have
finished the book. Snacks are important!!

On Thu, Nov 18, 2021 at 10:11 AM Michelle Shippy via AISLE <

> I am attempting to start a book club at the high school level.  This is my
> first year in this particular district, so I don't currently have a go-to
> group of students I can tap into getting this off the ground; I'm hoping
> this club will help me foster some strong relationships.  For those of you
> who have spear-headed and lead a teen book club, please drop all of your
> advice in this thread.  My plan is to recruit, promote, and choose our
> first title before the end of this semester and hold our first meeting in
> late January.  Thanks in advance for the advice!
>

> --
> Michelle Shippy
> District Librarian, Winnebago CUSD #323
> 815-335-2336 x 2225
> shippym at winnebagoschools.org
>
> Create your own email signature
> <https://www.wisestamp.com/create-own-signature/?utm_source=promotion&utm_medium=signature&utm_campaign=create_your_own&srcid=>
>>
> This transmission is intended and restricted for use by the above
> addressee only and may contain CONFIDENTIAL AND/OR PRIVILEGED INFORMATION
> WHICH MAY BE EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE UNDER FEDERAL OR STATE LAW. Any
> unauthorized review, use, dissemination, distribution, downloading, or
> copying of this communication or any of its attachments is strictly
> immediately notify the listed sender by reply email, and take necessary
> steps to delete the file from your system and destroy any hard copies of
> this transmission.MAILMAN_MIMEDEFANG

Renee Kozeal
School Librarian
Varsity Scholastic Bowl Coach