[aisle] Ghost Boys

Townhouse, Andie atownhouse at cps.edu
Tue Apr 26 09:08:58 CDT 2022

*Dear Martin* by Nic Stone. The main character tries to live the values of
Martin Luther King Jr. for a class project (via letter writing), but those
values are truly tested the moment he's racially profiled by police and put
into handcuffs.

On Tue, Apr 26, 2022 at 9:00 AM Huitron, Sofia via AISLE <

> All American Boys by Jason Reynolds and Brendan Kiely is somewhat similar
> to Ghost Boys. It deals with police violence, a black teenager is beaten by
> police and sent to the hospital. It is told by two characters, the black
> teen that was beaten and a white teenager that observed the beating.
>
> *Sofía Huitrón*
> LRC Teacher-Librarian
> Grove Junior High School
> 847-472-3022
>
> *"We cannot always build the future for our youth, but we can build our
> youth for the future." - Franklin D. Roosevelt*
>

> On Tue, Apr 26, 2022 at 8:34 AM Jordan Adams via AISLE <
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> Our 7th graders are reading Ghost Boys by Jewell Parker Rhodes as a class
>> novel this year and we have a parent complaining that it is
>> teaching/supporting racism. I haven't been the one dealing with the parent,
>> the classroom teacher is, but based on the discussion being had, the parent
>> obviously hasn't read the book.
>>
>> If you haven't read the book, its about a white police officer shooting a
>> young black boy. The young boy comes back as a ghost and interacts with
>> other young black boys that have been shot as well as with the daughter of
>> the police officer who did the shooting. To me, this book offers a very
>> unique perspective including the daughter of the police officer. I
>> personally think that it does a good job offering both sides of the story.
>>
>> The complaining parent is wanting a title to be taught that shows a black
>> person shooting a white person. I know this is a ridiculous request, but I
>> was wondering if any of you could think of a title like this that would be
>> appropriate for 7th grade. There is no plan to teach this other title, but
>> I was just going to try and see if there were any titles that fit this
>> request.
>>
>> Also, if you can think of other titles like Ghost Boys, that would be
>> appreciated too.
>> --
>> *Jordan Adams*
>> RCMS School Librarian
>>

>> *Currently Reading:*
>>
>> MAILMAN_MIMEDEFANG
>>
>> https://www.aisled.org/

[image: Amazon.com: Punching Bag: 9781324016236: Ogle, Rex: Books]
Currently Reading: *Punching Bag* by Rex Ogle

Andie Townhouse, M.A., M.L.I.S., Library Director/Pronouns: she / her /
hers / ella/ ona/ 她 /هي
*Roberto Clemente Community Academy*
tel: 773.534.4000 <(773)%20534-4000>
fax: 773.534.4003 <(773)%20534-4003>
@: atownhouse at cps.edu
web:  <http://goog_1333025299/>*www.rccachicago.org
<http://rccachicago.org/>*

*New! Book time for afternoon book talks here!
<http://calendly.com/atownhouse>*

*our school library is:*
[image: Rainbow logo which says: diverse, inclusive, accepting, welcoming,
safe space for everyone]
The Critical Cataloging Project at CPS, led by CPS librarians, is working
to adjust the subject headings and keywords that are used to locate books
in our catalog. Some of these terms are historically racist, sexist,
ableist, and heteronormative. Words matter.

We hope to join with other organizations who are also doing this work,
creating new norms and advocating for terms that are representative of our
society today.

To show your support of this work, and commitment to respectful cataloguing
language, please fill out this short form from the link below.

#WordsMatterCPS

Click here to support Critical Cataloguing at CPS!
<https://forms.gle/aFRYWnRvkkcDANb38>