[aisle] bluestem challenge?

Michelle Harris harrism at husd4.org
Thu Aug 25 16:59:25 CDT 2022

So...two options:

   1. I create a Google Forms quiz, formatting it so that it collects name,
   email, etc and does the grading. Click the Responses tab then select the
   "create spreadsheet" icon (it is very small...green and white). Click the
   button for "Create a New Spreadsheet" and name it ALL RESPONSES BLUESTEM
   2023.  Then create the Google Forms quiz for the next book...this time when
   you click the "create spreadsheet" icon, choose the button for "select
   existing spreadsheet."  A large box labeled "Choose a Spreadsheet where
   we'll copy responses to your form" will pop up.  Choose the spreadsheet
   titled ALL RESPONSES BLUESTEM 2023.  Do this for every remaining quiz.  Now
   you'll have a spreadsheet workbook with 20 tabs across the bottom.  I like
   to rename each of those tabs with the book title.    If I don't want to do
   any more work, I can just create one more "Master Tab" (using the
"*+" *button
   at the bottom left of the spreadsheets) labelled *ALL* and every month
   or so I copy/paste answers from each of the individual tabs into the
   *ALL* tab.  This ALL tab is handy because you can sort by title,
   classroom, student name, etc.
   2. Option two...do everything from option one above.  But now you're
   going to spend extra time to create a formula that AUTOMATICALLY moves all
   the info from the 20 tabs into the one Master Tab.  In other words, you
   won't have to do the monthly copy/paste.  Here is a TUTORIAL
   <https://youtu.be/q8awNSYNdq4>  (https://youtu.be/q8awNSYNdq4)   that
   will show you how to combine data from multiple sheets into one sheet.

I personally created a Bluestem Quiz Template and also kept a copy of the
complicated formula for "combining data from multiple sheets into one
sheet".  That way, each year I have minimal work to do.  I won't lie...the
first time I did this I spent AGES getting it all set up.  But now that it
is set up exactly the way I want it, I just COPY it each year, substitute
the new titles in the tabs and in the formula, and voila I'm ready to rock
and roll with no further effort all year long.

I use Google Forms because I am between 2 buildings and do not have time to
have individual conversations with each child to confirm that he/she read
the books.  Also, the kids can complete the Google Form from anywhere at
any time.

Good luck!!  Email me if my process isn't clear or you have questions!

Michelle

On Thu, Aug 25, 2022 at 2:11 PM Sidney Minnick via AISLE <

> Hi Michelle!  How do you get the forms to populate ONE spreadsheet?  Are
> they different forms or different sections of one form?
>
> On Wed, Aug 24, 2022 at 4:33 PM Michelle Harris via AISLE <
>
>> Yep, I do the same as Robin.  Google Forms quizzes with all submissions
>> defaulting to ONE giant spreadsheet makes record keeping easy. We have an
>> ice cream party & prize giveaway at the end in May. We only require 5 books
>> to get an invite to the ice cream party.  If you do 10 books, you get a
>> prize at the party (usually a poster or paperback book...I keep a
>> collection of items donated to the library that I can't use for the
>> shelves).  If someone reads ALL 20, they achieve Eternal Glory by adding
>> their name & photo to the "Hall of Fame" poster that I keep in the Library.
>>
>> On Wed, Aug 24, 2022 at 10:03 AM Deborah Handler via AISLE <
>> aisle at list.railslibraries.info> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello!
>>> I want to challenge my students in 3-5 to read bluestem. I know many
>>> have challenges. How do you keep track of the amount of books? Do students
>>> fill out some sort of book report?  And if I am to do a huge celebration at
>>> the end of the school year, like a pizza party of something, how many books
>>> should I require? My heart is telling me the whole list is too much.
>>> Thoughts? If you have something set up and you're willing to share, please
>>> let me know. My email: dhandler at d56.org
>>>
>>> *Kindly,*
>>>

>>> *Catalogue <https://search.follettsoftware.com/metasearch/ui/206>*
>>>
>>> MAILMAN_MIMEDEFANG