[aisle] bluestem challenge?

Smith, Jill JSmith1 at byron226.org
Thu Aug 25 22:10:32 CDT 2022

Hello,
I do a Bluestem reading challenge with grades 4-5 and a Monarch challenge with K-2 classrooms. I have found that sometimes neither of these lists really works for 3rd graders, reading levels are too high or too low and sometimes some of the books just don’t appeal to the average 3rd grader. So, I create a “Blue Monarch” list that I push out to 3rd graders. I pick 20 books from the two lists that have a variety of reading levels and subjects targeted more for 3rd graders. I have a blue folder for each classroom (grades 3-5) that has the list of nominees, a reading log with the book titles for each student, and a letter explaining the program. Since our school uses Accelerated Reader, the kids read the books, take an AR test, fill in their score on their log, and the teacher initials it. Folders are handed out in September and they are due back in the library at the end of April. As long as the teacher initials each test on a student’s log I count it as read. If the teacher reads one to their class and they take the test, that counts too. Our book fair is in May, and based on the number of books they read, students earn a gift certificate for the book fair.

I have streamlined it over the years. It is easy for the teacher, everything is in the folder. The reading logs are 3-hole punched and fastened in the middle so kids can’t take them out. The teacher lets the kids know where the folder is so they can fill in their log. I don’t recheck their AR account, I take the teacher’s initials as confirmation. We promote the books in the library all year. The only thing I asked is that the AR score was a “passing” score, generally 70% or higher. If we have 3rd graders who are high level readers they can choose to read the Bluestem list instead and if we have 4th or 5th graders who are lower level readers they can read the Blue Monarch list instead. They do not get prizes for reading both lists.

I do have a system for which books I put on the Blue Monarch list. I want it to be challenging in reading level and subject matter to them. If you would like more information feel free to reach out to me.

Good luck!

Jill M. Smith
District Librarian
Jsmith1 at byron226.org<mailto:Jsmith1 at byron226.org>
815-234-5491 ext 270

“The only thing that you absolutely have to know, is the location of the library.”
-                                           Albert Einstein