[aisle] Help with Teacher Relationships Needed

Toner, Timothy tgtoner at cps.edu
Tue Jan 25 10:18:48 CST 2022

Two things:

One, when you get a chance, check out the Lexile (yuk!) ratings for graphic
novels.  They're all over the place, because the art allows for inference
in service to the words.  Stan Lee regularly got fan mail from high school
and college students who told him how they learned advanced vocabulary from
the comics he wrote.  Mr. Lee was chagrinned, because it never occurred to
him to do anything more than tell a compelling story.

Two, (and this is really evil, but, Whee!!!), say to the teacher, "Well,
let's meet halfway.  They will check out the book you want them to check
out, and I will allow them to check out the book they actually want to
check out. Good?" And if the teacher does not "get it", say, "If you wonder
why students who love to read suddenly stop, it's because someone
criticized their reading selections, and in that moment, they realize,
'Well, if you don't respect what I read, why should I respect what you want
me to read?' A week from now, we'll ask them which books they read.  Would
you rather they read something they want to read, or no book at all?
Because that's totally a choice for them."

I am a high school librarian, and I begin each year with Juniors
apologizing to them, because once they loved to read.  Once they loved to
go to the library.  And then someone reached inside of them and snuffed out
that candle.  They didn't mean to do it.  They thought that they were
helping.  They shouldn't have.  "I am here to relight that candle."  In the
ten years I've given that speech, more than one student looks stricken, as
if I know exactly what happened to them.

tt

Timothy Toner
Librarian
John Hancock College Prep HS
5437 West 64th Pl
Chicago, IL 60638
773-535-2410
he | him | his
*Omnes mundum facimus*

On Tue, Jan 25, 2022 at 10:05 AM Honkoski, Trisha via AISLE <