[aisle] Book challenge(S)

Sylvia Allen sallen at blueridge18.org
Tue Jan 25 14:10:05 CST 2022

Leah,
In addition to the excellent advice shared by others, I would like to add a
reminder that it is not our jobs as librarians to draft eloquent persuasive
essays in defense of challenged books. I would suggest communicating
information including published reviews from reputable sources (School
Library Journal, Booklist, etc.), awards the books have won, gaps in the
collection the books address, and connections between the books and
curriculum/standards. You can also add to the books' defense a reminder
that professional organizations such as ALA oppose censorship and support
the right of readers to choose what they read, and that while not every
book is for every reader, all readers--regardless of race/gender
identity/sexual orientation/religion/age/politics/etc.--should have the
right to access books that meet their needs/wants.

And if you can manage, do report those challenges to ALA's Office for
Intellectual freedom! (Even if you don't consult with them for support,
which I also recommend, data on book challenges is valuable to their work.)
https://www.ala.org/tools/challengesupport/report

Standing in solidarity with you.
Sylvia Allen (she/her)

On Tue, Jan 25, 2022 at 11:56 AM Leah Krippner via AISLE <

> So I am finally in the crosshairs. If any of you have already drafted an
> eloquent defense of any of these works, if you could share it off list, I
> would be most appreciative. I got handed eight (8) challenge forms
> yesterday. Drowning.
>
> Perez. *Out of Darkness*
> Evison. *Lawn Boy: A Novel*
> Jackson. *Monday's Not Coming: A Novel*
> Kuklin. *Beyond Magenta: Transgender Teens Speak Out*
> Kobabe. *Gender Queer: A Memoir*
> Sanchez. *I Am Not Your Perfect Mexican Daughter*
> Sones. *Opposite of Innocent*
> Morrison. *The Bluest Eye*
> Kobabe. *Gender Queer*
>
> leah.krippner at harlem122.org
>
> --
> Leah Krippner
> Pronouns: she/her
> Librarian, Harlem High School
> Currently Reading: *1984: The Graphic Novel*, adapted and illustrated by
> Fido Nesti
> Library Website
> <https://sites.google.com/harlem122.org/hhs/Harlem-High-School/IMC?authuser=0>
>

> ------------------------------
> *This message, and any attachments to it, may contain information that is
> privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.
> If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are
> notified that any use, dissemination, distribution, copying, or
> communication of this message is strictly prohibited.  If you have received
> this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by return
> e-mail and delete the message and any attachments.  Thank you.*

*Mrs. Sylvia Allen (she/her)*
*District Librarian*
*Blue Ridge CUSD #18*
*(309) 928-2622*