[aisle] challenge to book and book talk

Andrea Perrin andreaperrin2008 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 08:44:58 CDT 2022

Hi Dawn.

I am sorry to hear you are going through this.  Just know that you have the
support of librarians all across the world! People have the right to
challenge a book...but they don't have the right to attack you on a
personal level.  I would definitely reach out to your Union and
Administration Team!

Andrea

On Mon, Mar 14, 2022 at 11:25 PM Dawn Scuderi via AISLE <

> Hi Everyone,
>
> So it is 11:00 at night and I can't sleep because over the last week I
> have 2 emails from angry parents about a very brief book talk I gave of "A
> High Five for Glenn Burke".
> I am currently making my way through the Caudills and always tell the kids
> about current books that I am reading or have just finished.
>
> I mentioned the book, gave a very brief synopsis and had almost immediate
> backlash from one parent who emailed me and my administrator.  They clearly
> shared their opinion that I had "violated" students by book talking a book
> that had a questioning character and a gay baseball player.
>
> Today I received an email from a second parent threatening to take issue
> with my Superintendent and School Board if I ever discuss, promote or
> display books of a racial, political or LGBTQ nature again.  To ANY student.
>
> I am in a 7/8 building.
>
> We have a mission statement, collection development policy and challenge
> policy but they are not school board approved.
>
> These challenges seem to not just be about the books but about me
> personally.  This evening I found out that the second parent posted about
> me on Facebook.
>
> We have a board meeting on Wednesday.  Do I go?  Do you guys think this
> warrants a meeting with my union rep, a call to ALA?  So far my admin has
> been supportive, but this is just *so much*.
>
> Book challenges are one thing, I feel like I can combat that.  But this
> feels personal.
>
> Suggestions?
>
> Thanks for any help,
> Dawn