[aisle] Teacher complaint (and removal behind my back) about a book in my library

Christine Wilson wilson.christine at d46.org
Fri Mar 18 08:30:51 CDT 2022

Oh how infuriating!!The teacher could have at least had the decency to let
you know why she took the book, or better yet, have a face to face
conversation with you!

I agree with the others that you should review your collection development
and book challenge policies (I'm guessing most of us don't even have a
place in our challenge process for teacher challenges!!). Be strong, and
know you are right, regardless of what happens.

Your email made me think about this article about an author visit:
https://nerdybookclub.wordpress.com/2017/03/23/please-dont-talk-about-your-book-by-barbara-dee/

On Fri, Mar 18, 2022 at 7:56 AM Whitlock, Robyn via AISLE <

> Good morning, Laurie,
>

> I SO GET your frustration!! I think it’s important to look at your
> district policy for collection development AND challenged books before
> talking to your principle. If a book is being challenged, does it stay on
> the shelf or get removed from the shelf? Does the collection development
> policy support diversity and inclusion?
>

> You want to show that it’s an age appropriate resource that supports the
> district initiatives.
>

> There is plenty to offend everyone on the shelves, which is why students
> get to choose what to check out. It’s one thing for a parent to ask that
> THEIR child not be allowed to check out a certain book, but that same
> parent doesn’t get to make that choice for OTHER parents and their
> children. (Literally, the SAME rights they are asking for!)
>

> I get worked up, too. Clearly. 😊
>

> Good luck!!
>

> Robyn Whitlock | LMC Director | Waubonsie Valley High School
>
> 630.375.2537
>
> <https://204teenreads.weebly.com/>

#StaySafe

'Who needs a librarian when you have Google? Well, who needs a doctor when
you have WebMD?'

Gwyneth Jones, The Daring Librarian.com

Christine Wilson, MLIS, Media Assistant
Avon Center School