[aisle] Teacher complaint (and removal behind my back) about a book in my library

Holtz, Alan C. (BMS) holtzac at vvsd.org
Fri Mar 18 10:34:52 CDT 2022

Good morning Laurie,

Isn’t taking something from someone else without permission called theft?

Sadly, this is not an unusual situation. About 20 years ago, I was a rookie librarian in Plainfield at Plainfield High School (now it is called Plainfield Central). I had the exact same scenario, except my book thief was the assistant principal. Eve took Cormier’s Fade right off the shelf and never checked it out. Ironically, it was on the day Cormier died that I noticed the library book sitting in her office during my first evaluation. It was clearly a book from the school’s library. From what I learned about her in the first 3 months that I was working there, was she was not a reader. When I checked the records for checking out the book, I noticed it should still be on the shelf. When I looked at the shelf it wasn’t. I simply checked the copy out to her. About a month or so later, she came in and told the aide in the library to delete the check out from her record. Apparently she received an overdue notice. 😊

My point is make sure you are protected. Are you tenured? I wasn’t. Eve made it clear to me that I was not tenured and just bought a house. Yes, she raised the stakes that quickly.

What I learned was, if you are not tenured, make sure a tenured librarian in your district “notices” this issue and takes the lead. We take turns in my district when an issue comes up. For example. I stood up when we had a major copyright blunder by an administrator a decade ago. Even though, I contacted the Office of Copyright at the LOC and cited that the book was clearly not in the public domain, she still insisted she was right because the book was posted on a website that claimed you could copy the book. When the super backed me (it didn’t hurt that his son was one of my student aides), she was… well, less than friendly for a few years. Then when there was another copyright issue came up a few years later, a different librarian tackled that issue. When she left for another district and I was able to step up again. (Yes, we had to be copyright police 3 times within the same decade) In my current district, I have a wonderful team of librarians to work together that protect each other. I hope you have a team to rely on.

Good luck,
Alan Holtz, a librarian who is happily serving the students of Brooks Middle School