[aisle] Must-have STEAM titles 4th - 8th grades

Michelle Harris harrism at husd4.org
Mon Nov 14 16:10:34 CST 2022

Here's a presentation I've given a few times that connects picture books
with Makerspace STEAM:
https://sites.google.com/husd4.org/booksmakerspace/home

I've taught a unit about Rube Goldberg and simple machines to a 3rd grade
STEM class and I'm dying to try it with an older age group.  Basically, I
read the Rube Goldberg book *Just Like Rube Goldberg* by Sarah Aronson.
Then we learn the 6 Simple Machines.  Next, each group is assigned to build
a machine using at least ONE of the six machines.  Finally, we connect all
the groups' machines together to create ONE GIANT machine.
Here is a slide show
<https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1OmQmocfOFiPzL2EZhQiLHohYb8i1oWHvpVymYtu5Gqw/copy#slide=id.g1929188713f_0_5>
of ideas that I shared with them.

Here's an example of a Rube Goldberg machine that my 3rd graders made.  We
made it SNOW in our classroom <https://www.wevideo.com/view/2500945470>.
Or this one...TURNS ON the Christmas Lights
<https://www.wevideo.com/view/2471572473> (ummm...some "magical editing"
happened in this one!)  and from 2020 here is one of my favorites  TURN
<https://www.wevideo.com/view/1914094732> OFF the Lights
<https://www.wevideo.com/view/1914094732>. I've been doing this unit with
3rd graders since 2019 and they absolutely love it. (and they learn a lot
AND use the Engineering Process along the way!)

With older students you could even incorporate the Laws of Motion!

Have fun!!!

Michelle Harris
Heyworth CUSD #4

On Mon, Nov 14, 2022 at 3:00 PM Jennifer Bylsma via AISLE <

> Hello everyone,
> I am wondering what are the "must have" STEAM titles/series for your 4th -
> 6th or JH 7-8th graders? I would love books and resources that would
> spark the imagination with cardboard construction, using code to build a
> simple computer game, steampunk science, engineering processes, simple
> machines, or ideas to create a rube-goldberg machine for kids in that age
> range. But I'd love to know what is really hot at your school.
>
> Thanks so much in advance!
>
> *Jennifer Bylsma*
> Librarian
> Judah Christian School