[aisle] Holiday decorations/display

Christine Wilson wilson.christine at d46.org
Mon Nov 28 14:43:59 CST 2022

I have previously done what Nichole mentioned, doing stories and displays
describing the various winter holidays that focus on light.  My elementary
kids like the various candle arrangements that appear on my counter.
Several years ago we pulled the majority of holiday books from the regular
shelves and put them away to be brought out when that holiday approaches.
It was totally a space issue, and a decision that most kids aren't looking
for Halloween books in April. Since then, our District has decided that we
aren't mentioning specific holidays in lessons or displays anymore. We're
still doing the book thing, as we simply don't have room for all of them on
the regular shelves, but no more LED candles.

On Mon, Nov 28, 2022 at 10:48 AM Renee Welch via AISLE <

> I have a "culture tree" in the LRC.  I invite students to donate ornaments
> that represent their culture. Here's a few examples of what has been
> donated:
> [image: IMG_6992.JPG]
> [image: IMG_6993.JPG]
>

> On Mon, Nov 28, 2022 at 10:22 AM Nichole Folkman via AISLE <
>
>> I am struggling with this right now. We have a "holiday" decorating
>> contest at our school, which is clearly and obviously Christmas-centered. I
>> am going to try and do a display called "Merry and Bright" and highlight
>> different holidays and festivals around the world that center on lights.
>> That's my plan, at least. So far I have Lunar New Year, Diwali, Kwanzaa,
>> Hanukkah, and Christnas. Any ideas on others to include? I'm also going to
>> make it interactive with some sort of matching symbols to holidays and have
>> a prize, I think.
>>
>> Happy to hear any ideas or suggestions anyone has!
>>
>> On Mon, Nov 28, 2022 at 10:16 AM Gina Caneva via AISLE <
>> aisle at list.railslibraries.info> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi AISLE--
>>> I'm loving the information about overdues! Wondering also if people
>>> could speak about their thoughts on December decorations.
>>>
>>> Do you decorate the library for the holidays?
>>> Do you have a book display for the holidays?
>>> Have you decided not to decorate for the holidays?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Gina Caneva
>>> MAILMAN_MIMEDEFANG
>>>
>>> https://www.aisled.org/
>>

>> --
>> Thanks!
>> Nichole Folkman
>> K-12 Librarian/ STEAM Director
>> Creator and Director of Stags Read Community Literacy Program
>> Stags Read Twitter- @StagsRead
>> Creator of Postcard Field Trip Curriculum
>> www.postcardfieldtrip.weebly.com
>>
>> Co-Chair of the AISLE Readers Choice Awards
>>
>> Scholastic Bowl Coach
>> Antler/ Staglite Advisor
>>
>> she/ her/ hers
>>
>> Check out my projects at
>> https://www.donorschoose.org/Mrs.Folkman
>>

>> Add me on GoodReads <https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/339006-n>
>> Currently Reading
>> <https://www.goodreads.com/user/email_signature_destination/339006?utm_medium=reading_link&utm_source=email_signature>
>> [image: Book Cover]
>> <https://www.goodreads.com/user/email_signature_destination/339006?utm_medium=cover&utm_source=email_signature>
>> [image: Goodreads Logo]
>> <https://www.goodreads.com/?utm_medium=gr_logo&utm_source=email_signature>Get
>> your own email signature
>> <https://www.goodreads.com/user/email_signature_instructions?utm_medium=gyo_link&utm_source=email_signature>
>> MAILMAN_MIMEDEFANG
>>
>> https://www.aisled.org/
>

> --
> Renee Welch
> Bednarcik Junior High <https://www.sd308.org/domain/965>
> LRC Director

> [...]

#StaySafe

'Who needs a librarian when you have Google? Well, who needs a doctor when
you have WebMD?'

Gwyneth Jones, The Daring Librarian.com

Christine Wilson, MLIS, Media Assistant
Avon Center School