[aisle] Judaic books on diversity / diverse topics

Monica Fumarolo mfumarolo at d101.org
Thu Oct 6 09:21:04 CDT 2022

The Assignment by Liza Wiemer is a MUST for any middle school and high
school fiction section. It's a fictionalized account of something that
actually happened in upstate New York when students were told that for a
class project, they had to argue in favor of Hitler's "Final Solution." My
6th graders haven't been hugely into it, but my 7th and 8th graders give it
rave reviews. She's based in the Milwaukee area, and loves doing author
visits, too!

On Thu, Oct 6, 2022 at 9:07 AM Townhouse, Andie via AISLE <

> Hi Todd,
> Have you checked AJL and/or Sydney Taylor awards?
>
> Offhand, here's a few I can think of a few middle grade novels:
>
> *Turtle Boy (*struggling with surgeries and bullying from a facial
> deformity -- fiction, but based on the author's childhood)
> *Lucky Broken Girl*  (a multicultural coming-of-age novel about the
> author's experience as a Cuban-Jewish immigrant in the 1960s).
> *The Length of a String* (biracial identities and adoption).
>
> Best,
> Andie
>
> On Wed, Oct 5, 2022 at 9:08 PM Todd Freer via AISLE <
>
>> Greetings and Shana Tova (happy new year),
>>
>> I am wondering if anyone can send me titles related to diversity and
>> Judaism? (This can include different sects of Judaism but does not have to.)
>>
>> These books will be for grades K - 8, and perhaps high schoolers/adults
>> as well, but 5-8 is my main target audience.
>>
>> Resources, suppliers, and collection development ideas would also be
>> greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Feel free to email me on or off list.
>>
>> Thank you,
>> —Todd
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>> addressed. If you are not the named addressee and/or intended recipient,
>> you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any
>> action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly
>> prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify the
>> sender immediately by email and delete this email from your system.
>> MAILMAN_MIMEDEFANG
>>
>> https://www.aisled.org/

*Ms. Monica Fumarolo*, MSLIS, NBCT
Librarian
*McClure Junior High School*
she/her/hers

--
This email transmission contains information from Western Springs School
District 101 which is confidential or privileged. This information is