[aisle] Judaic books on diversity / diverse topics

Caroline Fox Anvick foxc at unit5.org
Thu Oct 6 10:21:14 CDT 2022

Some good High School titles:
Current/realistic fiction featuring Jewish main characters - *Yes, No,
Maybe So*, by Becky Albertalli, *Today, Tonight, Tomorrow*, as well as *You'll
Miss me When I'm Gone*, both by Rachel Lynn Solomon, *My Awful Popularity
Plan*, by Seth Rudesky, I*n the Neighborhood of True*, by Susan Kaplan
Carlton. Geoff Herbach is a good author who often features Jewish
characters.
*The City Beautiful*, by Aden Polydoros is a fantasy/historical fiction
book.
Lots of historical fiction - *They Went Left*, by Monica Hesse, *Orphan,
Monster, Spy*, by Matt Killeen, *What the Night Sings*, by Vesper
Stamper, *Mapping
the Bones*, by Jane Yolen.

On Thu, Oct 6, 2022 at 9:07 AM Townhouse, Andie via AISLE <

> Hi Todd,
> Have you checked AJL and/or Sydney Taylor awards?
>
> Offhand, here's a few I can think of a few middle grade novels:
>
> *Turtle Boy (*struggling with surgeries and bullying from a facial
> deformity -- fiction, but based on the author's childhood)
> *Lucky Broken Girl*  (a multicultural coming-of-age novel about the
> author's experience as a Cuban-Jewish immigrant in the 1960s).
> *The Length of a String* (biracial identities and adoption).
>
> Best,
> Andie
>
> On Wed, Oct 5, 2022 at 9:08 PM Todd Freer via AISLE <
>
>> Greetings and Shana Tova (happy new year),
>>
>> I am wondering if anyone can send me titles related to diversity and
>> Judaism? (This can include different sects of Judaism but does not have to.)
>>
>> These books will be for grades K - 8, and perhaps high schoolers/adults
>> as well, but 5-8 is my main target audience.
>>
>> Resources, suppliers, and collection development ideas would also be
>> greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Feel free to email me on or off list.
>>
>> Thank you,
>> —Todd
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>> addressed. If you are not the named addressee and/or intended recipient,
>> you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any
>> action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly
>> prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify the
>> sender immediately by email and delete this email from your system.
>> MAILMAN_MIMEDEFANG
>>
>> https://www.aisled.org/

*Caroline Fox Anvick*
*School Librarian*