[aisle] Individualized Library Programs

Michelle Harris harrism at husd4.org
Thu Oct 20 11:38:50 CDT 2022

I've had grade-level meetings with teachers for discussion and I brought
with me a copy of *their standards* in various subjects.  We talked about
what kinds of instruction and projects they did and what would be helpful
for the library to provide or collaborate on. I also asked "Is there any
unit that frustrates you or that you'd like to re-vamp?"  Then I offer to
provide new ideas/resources.  My district also compiled a curriculum map
(helpful so that, for example, I know that all 3rd grade teachers are
teaching magnets in science class in the fall, etc.)  I try to build book
displays that correspond to what is happening in classrooms, or make my
library curriculum examples mirror what they are learning in the classroom
(so, for example, if they are learning about space in science class and we
are learning about the online catalog in library class, we look up books
about planets, the sun, the space station, etc.).  Sometimes this
"parallel-instruction" is all I get...other times I'm invited to be a true
co-teacher or partner on an entire unit. Other times, I'm the "tech expert"
who comes in to help integrate relevant technology into a unit, I teach or
provide an extra instructor in the room during tech projects.

It's always different every year!  Good luck making those connections!
(Offering to bring coffee and/or chocolate to the initial meeting helps,
too!!)

Michelle Harris
Heyworth CUSD #4