[aisle] Elementary Library Organization

Jo Anne Sundberg jsundberg at sd44.org
Wed Feb 15 10:35:16 CST 2023

For my many years of organizing a K-5 library, I have found that using bins
for favorite Authors has been very helpful.  Also, I have one "Favorites"
Case that has TV-ish books.... Super Heros, Princesses, etc.  Also, we have
AR Books that are leveled by color, Easiest books are in Red Bins, BL
0-1.9. Blue bins are BL 2.0-2.9. Yellow readers (BL 3.0-3.9) are also in
bins.  All "Branches" books are on a mobile cart sorted by series, some in
bins.  All the others are on the shelves alphabetically by Author.  Chapter
books are sorted by Author with bins inserted for popular series.  Dewey
for nonfiction with Bins inserted for popular subjects... Titanic, weather,
space, ocean animals, pets, sports, etc.

I just moved everything this year and it's amazing how quickly students
find their favorite books.  It's also quicker for shelving!

JoAnne Sundberg
Manor Hill LRC
(630) 827-4344

On Wed, Feb 15, 2023 at 9:51 AM Taylor Cothern via AISLE <

> Our district is currently building a new elementary school. I am
> suggesting that this would be a great time to reorganize the elementary
> libraries, we will be combining two libraries into one. Our junior high was
> genrefied last year, and it has been a huge success. I was wondering if
> anyone had tips on "genrefying" an elementary library (K-5) or other tips
> on organization. Thank you!
>
> --
> *Taylor Cothern*
> *6th Grade Language Arts*
>
> *Pana Junior High School  *

*E-MAIL CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: Illinois has a very broad public
records law.  Most written communications (including email) to or from
school district officials and staff are public records available to the
public and media upon request.  Your email communications may therefore be
subject to public disclosure.  Lombard School District 44.*