[aisle] Special Needs Library Programming

Leanne Brown lbrown at orland135.org
Wed Feb 15 18:28:58 CST 2023

Good evening,

I am looking to communicate with librarians who have experience working
with students who have profound learning/behavioral needs, such as
nonverbal autism. My long-term goal is to develop a therapeutic library
curriculum, with books and manipulatives similar to that you would use in a
storytime program in a public library.

In my building we have a self-contained special education population of
roughly 30, with 12 of those students being more profound in their needs. I
am almost two years in my position, and I have learned a lot from our
self-contained special education staff on how to best serve these students;
however, I would like to hear from a fellow librarian on your activities,
approaches, resources, materials, etc.

I hope this makes sense, please contact me off-list so I don't clog up
everyone's emails. Thank you!

Leanne Brown, MLIS
Librarian
Meadow Ridge School