[aisle] I Need Help! Angry Teachers, K-1 Lesson Ideas

Roxanne Price rrprice at marionunit2.org
Mon Feb 27 10:11:34 CST 2023

Karrie,

My first thought is *why are they staying with you*?  I have K-2 students
every week for 40 min., and 3-5 students every other week for 40 min.  I do
not have an aide, as well.  Can you kindly ask teachers to take a restroom
break and get caught up with copying and grading during that time? So they
are not in the library with you....especially if this is where their
frustration comes from.

Just my first thought after reading your email.

Roxanne Price
Marion CUSD #2

On Sat, Feb 25, 2023 at 1:16 PM Tracy Hubbard via AISLE <

> Hi Karrie,
>
> We have been working the last 3 years on building a district wide
> curriculum. Within our mission statement we clearly outlined how much of
> our time is instruction, circulation etc.
>
> For K-5 we have  4 main units based on the new state library standards.
> Unit 1 Library systems, Unit 2 Social Justice in literature, Unit 3 Maker &
> Steam and Unit 4 Info Literacy/Dig Citizenship. These units spiral through
> the year. There are still aspects we are refining, but very helpful to be
> able to articulate what we do. We are still working 6-8.
>
> The units can be found here:
> https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1arjqs5R_JkB9WMeLzLvt7gNuRtEnZtLv
>
> State Library Standards:
> https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Jt7xK1LxRO2fueex7qIqS0QmR3Qz_Dbb?usp=share_link
>
> Good luck!
>
> On Sat, Feb 25, 2023, 12:32 PM Karrie Fisher via AISLE <
>
>> Hi Everyone,
>> Some of you may remember that my librarian position at the elementary
>> school was eliminated for this school year.  I am the sole librarian
>> for the elementary and the middle schools, which means my time is split.  I
>> have one full-time assistant, but she is in the library where I am not.
>> This decision and subsequent decisions for how this position was going to
>> work have been a disaster.
>>
>> Bottom line: I am looking for fun, quick (10 minutes) library lessons
>> for K & 1 kids.  The K & 1 teachers are complaining to administration and
>> the union that I am only "reading books to the kids." They are demanding to
>> see my lesson plans and library standards because they are convinced I am
>> not teaching the kids anything.  My immediate supervisor is supporting me,
>> but this is really wearing me out; they keep bringing me up in their team
>> leader meetings to complain about me.
>>
>> I have a CRAZY schedule this year. Every other week, I see the K-5 kids
>> for:
>>
>>    - 15 minutes to do a lesson and 10 minutes for a book checkout --
>>    total time = 25 minutes
>>    - 15-minute book check out only -- total time = 15 minutes
>>
>> The teachers have to stay with their kids because I do not have an
>> assistant with me; they see and hear me reading and teaching.  They resent
>> having to be there and are mad at me, even though I did not make the
>> schedule.
>>
>> I am reading the Monarch Award nominees to the K-2 kids.  The K-1
>> teachers know what I am doing because they hear me tell the kids every week
>> that we are reading a Monarch Award book and they will be voting for their
>> favorite one.  Teachers don't care and see no value in me reading to the
>> kids.
>>
>> I should mention that I embed lessons into the read alouds. Parts of the
>> book, importance of spine labels, where to find the book in the library,
>> book care, how text impacts the way we read the book both silently and
>> aloud, characters, etc.

> [...]

*Roxanne Price*
*Lincoln Elementary School*
*Marion CUSD #2*
*rrprice at marionunit2.org <rrprice at marionunit2.org>*

Confidentiality NoticeIf the information in this email relates to an
individual or student, it may be private data under state or federal
privacy laws. This individual private data should not be reviewed,
distributed or copied by any person other than the intended recipient(s),
unless otherwise permitted under law. If you are not the intended
recipient, any further review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of
this electronic communication or any attachment is strictly prohibited. If
you received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately and
permanently delete this email. Thank you for your compliance.