[aisle] I Need Help! Angry Teachers, K-1 Lesson Ideas

Tracy Hubbard hubbardt at district65.net
Sat Feb 25 13:16:20 CST 2023

Hi Karrie,

We have been working the last 3 years on building a district wide
curriculum. Within our mission statement we clearly outlined how much of
our time is instruction, circulation etc.

For K-5 we have  4 main units based on the new state library standards.
Unit 1 Library systems, Unit 2 Social Justice in literature, Unit 3 Maker &
Steam and Unit 4 Info Literacy/Dig Citizenship. These units spiral through
the year. There are still aspects we are refining, but very helpful to be
able to articulate what we do. We are still working 6-8.

The units can be found here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1arjqs5R_JkB9WMeLzLvt7gNuRtEnZtLv

State Library Standards:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Jt7xK1LxRO2fueex7qIqS0QmR3Qz_Dbb?usp=share_link

Good luck!

On Sat, Feb 25, 2023, 12:32 PM Karrie Fisher via AISLE <

> Hi Everyone,
> Some of you may remember that my librarian position at the elementary
> school was eliminated for this school year.  I am the sole librarian
> for the elementary and the middle schools, which means my time is split.  I
> have one full-time assistant, but she is in the library where I am not.
> This decision and subsequent decisions for how this position was going to
> work have been a disaster.
>
> Bottom line: I am looking for fun, quick (10 minutes) library lessons
> for K & 1 kids.  The K & 1 teachers are complaining to administration and
> the union that I am only "reading books to the kids." They are demanding to
> see my lesson plans and library standards because they are convinced I am
> not teaching the kids anything.  My immediate supervisor is supporting me,
> but this is really wearing me out; they keep bringing me up in their team
> leader meetings to complain about me.
>
> I have a CRAZY schedule this year. Every other week, I see the K-5 kids
> for:
>
>    - 15 minutes to do a lesson and 10 minutes for a book checkout --
>    total time = 25 minutes
>    - 15-minute book check out only -- total time = 15 minutes
>
> The teachers have to stay with their kids because I do not have an
> assistant with me; they see and hear me reading and teaching.  They resent
> having to be there and are mad at me, even though I did not make the
> schedule.
>
> I am reading the Monarch Award nominees to the K-2 kids.  The K-1 teachers
> know what I am doing because they hear me tell the kids every week that we
> are reading a Monarch Award book and they will be voting for their favorite
> one.  Teachers don't care and see no value in me reading to the kids.
>
> I should mention that I embed lessons into the read alouds. Parts of the
> book, importance of spine labels, where to find the book in the library,
> book care, how text impacts the way we read the book both silently and
> aloud, characters, etc.
>
> I've been trying to read the Monarch Award books since the beginning of
> the year...every other week.
>
> To add fuel to the fire, I've had the flu, pneumonia, and covid this year
> and administration was not getting a sub for me; classes were cancelled.
> Some teachers are actually angry at me for being sick and have complained
> to the admin about me being sick.  I know it's displaced anger, but this is
> not helping my relationships with the K-1 teams.  I have managed to change
> this policy and they are now getting a sub for me.
>
> Sorry for the saga --
>
> What do all of you do with K and 1 for library lessons?  I would
> appreciate any and all ideas!
>
> Thanks so much, everyone!
>
> Search The Card Catalog
> <https://district31.follettdestiny.com/common/servlet/logout.do?tm=>
>
> Happily Ever After,
> Karrie Fisher
> District Librarian
> [...]

Any communication sent or received by District 65 is a public
record and may be subject to inspection or copying under the Illinois
Freedom of Information Act.