[aisle] [***] Advice sought: Mobile shelving, library layout, circulation desk design

Carol Naughton cnaughton at d94.org
Wed Jan 25 13:12:29 CST 2023

We built a new library a few years ago. The big issues with truly portable
shelving are loss of shelf space (we lost 1 shelf for each unit compared to
a same sized unit with no casters), and cost (the portable shelves were
almost 1.5x the cost of non-portable shelves). In a previous building, I
had "portable" units and while they were on casters, the box was not
designed to be moved around very much and when it was moved, the books had
to come out first.

*Carol Naughton*
*LRC Director, Community High School*
*FIRST Tech Challenge Coach *

*Team #19757 WEGO Robotics*

630-876-6400 | cnaughton at d94.org

http://www.wegolrc.org/

*If we teach a child to read but fail to develop a desire to read, we will
have created a skilled nonreader, a literate illiterate.*

*~Kylene Beers*

Currently Reading:

 [image: 58437521]*The Candy House by Jennifer Egan*

On Wed, Jan 25, 2023 at 12:45 PM Dana Brooks via AISLE <

> Hello all,
>

> I am with a small school district and one of my libraries flooded over
> Christmas break, resulting in the need for new carpet, ALL new shelving and
> possibly a new circulation desk. I am choosing to look at this as an
> opportunity for exciting change, so I am wondering if anyone would be
> willing to give me thoughts/input/advice about the following:
>

>    - Companies that come to your site to give design ideas for changing
>    the layout of your space for better efficiency (I don't know where to
>    even start with this other than Demco or School Specialty maybe?)
>    - Mobile shelving - pros / cons. Things to look for or avoid if we go
>    this route, suggestions etc. If anyone has photos they might be willing to
>    share -
>    - Circulation desk design - Anyone who loves theirs?
>    - Site visit - Is there anyone who uses mobile shelving who might
>    entertain a short site visit from us so we can see how other libraries have
>    utilized it? Or perhaps any library that has recently remodeled?
>
> I will emphasize that our library is very small . Not sure if this helps,
> but I have attached a few photos of our library. (Yes, it is a weird
> shape).
>

>  IMG_3483.HEIC
> <https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_s7t6c3XzWab28AbYuZBuaje45yB3W5n/view?usp=drive_web>
>
>  IMG_3498.HEIC
> <https://drive.google.com/file/d/17or5rNbaq9m-jFKxiRGJXcaJOh256dKp/view?usp=drive_web>
>
>  IMG_3499.HEIC
> <https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SawoDnQKBD-jQVvyTgjukVNghYOIhr_4/view?usp=drive_web>
>

> This e-mail message, including any attachments, contains information that
> is intended only for the person(s) to whom it is addressed and may be
> confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, note that any
> disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the information contained in
> or attached to this message is strictly prohibited.  Please notify the
> sender of the delivery error by replying to this message, and then delete
> it from your system.  Thank you.MAILMAN_MIMEDEFANG

*This message and any attachment thereto is for the sole use of the
intended recipient(s), and is covered by the Electronic Communications
Privacy Act (18 USC 2510 et seq).  It may contain information that is
confidential and legally privileged within the meaning of applicable law.
If you are not the intended recipient, please immediately alert the sender
by reply e-mail, permanently remove this message and any attachments
thereto from your system, and destroy any hard copies thereof; do not
disclose the contents or take any action in reliance upon the information
contained in this message or any attachments.  If you have any doubt as to
the authenticity of this message or any attachment thereto, please contact
the sender immediately.  Any copying, disclosure, distribution or other
action taken or omitted to be taken with respect to an erroneously received
or inauthentic message or attachment is prohibited. Communications sent or
received by Community High School District 94 may be subject to inspection,
copying, and disclosure under the Illinois Freedom of Information Act
(FOIA).*