[aisle] book suggestions

Christine Wilson wilson.christine at d46.org
Tue Jan 31 11:24:31 CST 2023

It seems to me that you can't get all that information and nuance in one or
two books, but will have to have students pick a location and research
culture, political structure, economics, ecology, and changes to all that.
It doesn't have to be heavy (we recently read *The Water Walker* by Joanne
Robertson, a picture book that discusses First Nations reactions to water
and air pollution), or long. Anything that cues in to point of view in one
setting will help them take it to another setting.

Good luck!

On Mon, Jan 30, 2023 at 3:38 PM Michelle Harris via AISLE <

> Wow...that is super specific!  I have a set of non-fiction books by Blaine
> Wiseman called The Natural Environment of the Northwest (the
> Northeast...the Midwest, etc.) that might work? I can't think of a fiction
> title that meets all those criteria.
>
> On Mon, Jan 30, 2023 at 3:06 PM Kami Spatzek via AISLE <
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I hope someone can help me because I cannot think of a single title to
>> support this statement.
>>
>> "I want my students to understand that where people live in the U.S.
>> influences the natural resources the community uses, the environmental
>> challenges they face, and the cultural makeup of the people, and that these
>> developments change over time and differ from other parts of the country
>> and world."
>>
>> Does anyone have a title that would fit? We are looking for a selection
>> of titles that fit this statement for literature circle options in fifth
>> grade.
>>
>> Please help me if you can!
>>
>> --
>> [image: photo]
>> *Kami A. Spatzek*
>> Congress Park LRC Director
>>
>> 708-215-6007 <+708-215-6007> | spatzekka at dist102.k12.il.us
>>
>> www.kamispatzek.com
>> <https://twitter.com/MrsSpatzek>
>> Currently Reading
>> <https://www.goodreads.com/user/email_signature_destination/7659808?utm_medium=reading_link&utm_source=email_signature>
>> [image: Book Cover]
>> <https://www.goodreads.com/user/email_signature_destination/7659808?utm_medium=cover&utm_source=email_signature>
>> MAILMAN_MIMEDEFANG
>>
>> https://www.aisled.org/
>

> --
> *Michelle Harris*
> District Librarian
> Heyworth CUSD #4

#StaySafe

'Who needs a librarian when you have Google? Well, who needs a doctor when
you have WebMD?'

Gwyneth Jones, The Daring Librarian.com

Christine Wilson, MLIS, Media Assistant
Avon Center School