[aisle] Elementary Censorship Question?

Weinberger, Colleen cweinberger at wcusd200.org
Wed Mar 8 12:27:12 CST 2023

Hello!

I have a question about the 2022 Monarch book *PRIDE: The Story of Harvey
Milk and the Rainbow flag.*  Did any of you experience parents filing a
complaint about this book at your public elementary school library?  If so
how was it dealt with?  My principal has a parent currently filing an
official complaint about this book and wants it removed immediately.  I
believe a committee will be convened soon to discuss it.  I want to be
prepared for this upcoming meeting.  So if any of you have any experience
to share regarding this book or another elementary school book, please
share!

This is my fourth year as an elementary librarian and it is my FIRST
challenged book.

Thank you so much for your time.

Sincerely,
Colleen

--
Colleen Weinberger
Teacher Librarian
Email:cweinberger at wcusd200.org

Dean Street Elementary
600 Dean Street
Woodstock, IL 60098
815-337-7844

Prairiewood Elementary
3215 Hercules Road
Woodstock, IL 60098
815-337-5300

Westwood Elementary
14124 W. South Street
Woodstock, IL 60098
815-337-8173

*Books are the treasured wealth of the world and the fit inheritance of
generations and nations   *~ Henry David Thoreau