[aisle] Librarians in contract?

Beverly Zbinden bevzbi at d219.org
Thu Mar 9 17:25:35 CST 2023

Gina,
D219 librarian ranks were decimated a decade ago and we went from having
three certified librarians at each school to one certified librarian at
each school and one outsourced, non-certified librarian at each school. We
were able to get our outsourced librarian into the support staff bargaining
unit several years ago and language into our CBA that we would have at
least one certified librarian at each school. Here is the contract language
regarding our libraries:

Section 8. LIBRARIANS

A. Library hours shall be scheduled in consultation with the library staff
as needed in each  division.

B. Policies regarding the use of library facilities and materials shall be
developed in  consultation with the library staff.

C. Librarians shall be involved in curriculum planning in the areas of
their specialization.

D. The libraries at Niles North and Niles West shall be staffed by no fewer
than one (1)  licensed librarian per building.

We are headed into a bargaining year next year and I sit on our union
executive board (I encourage every librarian to get onto their exec board)
and we plan on submitting a proposal to increase our certified ranks.

Good luck!
Bev
Beverly Zbinden
Head Librarian @ Niles North High School
(847)626-2183
*Pronouns: she/her/hers*

"What a school thinks about its library is a measure of what it thinks
about education."
  - Harold Howe, former U.S. Commissioner of Education

On Thu, Mar 9, 2023 at 4:36 PM Gina Caneva via AISLE <