[aisle] Librarian Advocacy

Janine Asmus JAsmus at leyden212.org
Thu Mar 16 09:03:25 CDT 2023

I know many of you are frustrated by the lack of funds, lack of support,
lack of job security, and lack of communication from your administrators. I
get it. I do.  Recognize you are not alone. School librarians across the
country, and globe, are facing the same or very similar issues. Therefore,
it is time for each of us to lead from our libraries. What is your
value-added to your students, school, or District? What do you do,
specifically, to celebrate, promote and encourage reading and research? Use
those innovative programs and ideas you have as advocacy tools. Forward
face your school library for all to see. I recognize colleagues throughout
our schools may not necessarily have to do that, but we as librarians do.
Embrace it.

I challenge each of you as we head into our Spring Breaks in our respective
schools to put a beloved book in school mail to your principal or
superintendent. Put a sticky note on top explaining why you want them to
read it and why it means so much to you or to your students. Then, I
challenge you to pick up the phone, call the principal or superintendent's
assistant and get a lunch date on the calendar for April when we celebrate
National Library Week. Make a point of breaking bread and talking about
that book with your principal or superintendent. While you have that time,
talk about the vision you have for your library or libraries and how it
aligns to the vision and goals of the District. Create a rapport and build
upon it.  Find common ground.

Also consider reaching out to parents or the PTO; invite them in during
National Library Week and let them see what you do and learn how to support
and advocate for your work with the students.

Lastly, consider leading in AISLE. Join a committee or run for a Board
position. Would you like to be our next President? Participating in your
professional community is powerful and allows you to validate all the good
you do in your school library each day and share with colleagues.

Questions? Feel free to email me or our nominations and elections
representative:

jasmus at leyden212.org (my school email)

preselect at aisled.org (my AISLE email)

nominations at aisled.org (AISLE nominations rep.)

Have a good Thursday!

Janine M. Asmus

Leyden High Schools District # 212

Librarian, West Campus

Alumni Wall of Fame Coordinator

*2019 Illinois School Librarian of the Year*

*AISLE President-Elect*

1000 N. Wolf Road

Northlake, IL 60164

847.451.3140