[aisle] Librarian Advocacy

Holtz, Alan C. (BMS) holtzac at vvsd.org
Thu Mar 16 09:39:47 CDT 2023

Janine,

Love the idea, but why just the PTO?

My favorite moment for library advocacy is World Read Aloud Day on February 2. This year, we had to move our school’s celebration of World Read Aloud Day due to testing to the middle of the month, but that allow us to have better participation from several stakeholders. I invite our community leaders to come in as readers for 20 minutes or so.

This year, we had Congressman Bill Foster, Comptroller Susanna Mendoza, State Senator Rachel Vasquez’s Chief of Staff, our mayor, the city clerk, 3 village trustees, 3 school board members, the fire chief, the head of the Chamber of Commerce, our superintendent, a curriculum director, a police office, and 4 firemen. In past years, we had members of Senator’s Dick Durban’s staff,  State Representative Alvarez, park district board members, library board members, the public library’s director.

Finally, each stakeholder also receives a thank you letter on school stationary signed by me with he job title of school librarian on it.

Advocacy is easy when you invite the big decision makers too.

Enjoy,
Alan Holtz, Librarian serving Brooks Middle School