[aisle] Pros & Cons of Inventory by Collection

Jeanne Brucher jbrucher at geneseoschools.org
Mon Mar 27 13:33:41 CDT 2023

I inventory middle school and high school. I set up my inventories by large
sections in the library (Fiction, Nonfiction, Biography, Graphic Novel,
Professional). Even though those bigger sections could be divided into
genres or Dewey 100's, I find the big section is easy enough to inventory.

Running it this way helps me better see that a book is in the wrong place.
These sections are small enough I can do each one within one or two days.
That way I don't have to be constantly accounting for the books that are
getting checked in while that section is still unfinalized in the
inventory. It's also helpful if you have more than one person scanning,
then they could be responsible for their own section.

On Mon, Mar 27, 2023 at 12:21 PM Kathryn Green via AISLE <

> If you could explain how the collections are separate I could answer your
> question.
>
> For example, I have two different libraries in my elementary school. They
> are about 1/4 mile apart. One serves pre-k through grade 2, the other
> grades 3-6.
>
> Same building-two collections. In Destiny, it is one collection, even
> though they are separated by distance. Is this what you mean?
> Kathryn Green
>
> On Mar 27, 2023, at 11:32 AM, Brentano Librarian via AISLE <
>

> Hi,
> I am a parent volunteer librarian at a K-8 school. We're preparing to do
> inventory for the first time in about 6 years--and the first time at all
> under my leadership. I'm unsure whether to inventory each of our
> collections separately or do them all together. Other than the benefit of
> locating books shelved incorrectly when inventorying one collection at a
> time, are there other pros and cons to consider? I also welcome any other
> first time inventory advice.
>
> Thank you!
>
> --
> Alison Hightower (she/her)
> Library Coordinator & Brentano Parent
> Brentano Math & Science Academy
> BrentanoLibrary at gmail.com
>
> *Support Brentano's Library. *
> *Shop our Wishlist here
> <https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/3M0HT8MEJXCCY?ref_=wl_share>. *

Jeanne Brucher
GMS & GHS Librarian, Xello Coordinator, GHS Speech Team Advisor
GMS Student Council Advisor, On the Same Page Coordinator
jbrucher at geneseoschools.org
Geneseo Middle School (309) 945-0524
Geneseo High School (309) 945-0316

Mrs. Brucher is currently reading: