[ISLMA-Share] Fall Inventory

Michelle Shippy mshippy at dakota201.com
Mon May 2 11:52:41 CDT 2016

I'm finishing my third year as the school librarian for our district.  My predecessor had always closed all of the building libraries the last week of school to complete inventory in May/June, so that's the procedure I've followed so far.  Every summer our elementary library is open sporadically to host various summer library programming planned by a handful of elementary teachers.  I've trained these volunteers how to check-in and check-out materials and given them a crash course in reading the shelves.  Long story short, the elementary library is a mess at the beginning of the next school year, negating a lot of work that my aides complete at the end of the school year with inventory. I am toying with the idea of completing inventory in August.

I am wondering if any of you can add your two cents (or more) about completing inventory in the fall rather than the spring.  I'd like to hear both positive and negative experiences, so I can make an informed decision.

Thanks in advance!

Michelle Shippy
Dakota CUSD #201
District Librarian