[ISLMA-Share] Newbie Questions -- Privacy and Volunteers

Mon Aug 14 06:30:49 CDT 2017

Hello Everyone.  I just got my first position as a school librarian and I am trying to figure out a few things!  I'm in a K-8 building.
First, questions about parent volunteers.1)  Do they work in the library when you're not there?  For instance, if you need to be in a classroom, are parents running the library in your absence?2)  Do they check-out books to children or does this violate privacy?3)  Do your volunteers catalog books and maintain the library as if they were librarians?4)  Does your administration dictate how you have to use parent volunteers?
Privacy Questions1)  What do you do to ensure privacy for your students?2)  When you send reminder notices and overdue notices home to parents, is this considered a violation of privacy or is this a common sense kind of thing?

How many of you are assigned to be in classrooms to co-teach certain classes?
Now that I have the job, I found out I'll be working in classrooms for seven periods a week and my principal wants parent volunteers to run the library in my absence.  As you can probably guess, I'm a sole librarian in this school.  This seems odd to me, but I'm new to this.  Maybe it's the norm. I'm just looking for some perspective.
Thanks so much for your knowledge and help in understanding this situation.
Susan Jeffers