[aisle] New Library

Renee Welch rwelch at sd308.org
Thu Dec 9 11:20:54 CST 2021

I recently did an overhaul of my nonfiction.  Before I ever pulled a book
it helped to run a Collections Statistics summary. Go through those
pages....Highlight old copyright dates but watch your content.  Believe it
or not, sometimes you still need that book from 2005. Also, historical
material rarely changes no matter the date. Pull from shelves & delete from
circulation.  I had student volunteers cover my barcodes with blank white
labels and crossed off the school name stamped inside using big black
markers. Their assembly line was brilliantly done. One week though....wow.
Good luck!

On Thu, Dec 9, 2021 at 10:16 AM Bette Rubinson Zablocki via AISLE <

> Hello,
>
> I work in a middle school that had two separate libraries, one for 6th
> grade and one for 7/8 grade, and is finishing construction this week on one
> library for the building. Now the two collections need to be combined while
> weeding about 6,000 books from the collection. The reason for the weeding
> is that shelving was not increased in the new library to factor in the
> increase in books when the collections are combined. I will have 1-3
> additional library/technology staff from other buildings in the district
> helping me throughout the day. Has anyone done a project like this
> before? Any advice? The curriculum director would like this completed in
> one week, so time is a factor.
>
> Please email me off the list at bzablocki at d15.us
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bette Zablocki
> Marquardt Middle School
> Glendale Heights, IL

Renee Welch
Bednarcik Junior High <https://www.sd308.org/domain/965>
LRC Director

Perhaps no place in any community is so totally democratic as the town library.
The only entrance
 requirement is interest. - Lady Bird Johnson