[aisle] classes in the library--FINALLY!

Jo Anne Sundberg jsundberg at sd44.org
Mon Feb 1 11:39:26 CST 2021

I got the ok to checkout beginning in December.  We are running Hybrid with
students in-person learning on either Mo-Tu or Th-Fri.

   - For 3, 4 and 5,  I connected to the classrooms remote meet to review
   putting books on HOLD.  Then I deliver books to the classrooms.  I use
   Alexandria software and they are able to login to the researcher.
   - For K, 1, 2, and Special Ed, I rolled a book cart down to the
   classroom. (planned for Monday/Thursday or Tuesday/Friday for each class)
   Usually I stayed in the hallway and had one or two students browse.  They
   used hand sanitizer first.  I put together a  shared 1st grade and Kinder
   cart and a different 2nd grade cart.
   - We had plastic bags donated, so I'm able to label the bags with the
   student's barcode label.
   - Students can check out 5 books and keep them for 1 month.
   - Monthly, we have a remote pick up day.  I focus on the remote students
   if there's  remote pickup coming up.  Teachers have been very supportive
   about passing the books to the students
   - When books come back, I quarantine them for 3 days.  I made signs so
   teachers know where to place them to return.  I also offered to pick up
   books from their classroom, if they want.  Lunch carts are not being used
   so I suggested they use the lunch carts for returned books.
   - I have a back closet where I place the Quarantined books on a labeled
   book truck.  I touch them but make sure to be extra careful and wash my
   hands after handling them.  So far, this is working well.

I've noticed that not all students need library books.  Some of the 4th and
5th grade students have many books at home or have access to the public
library.  This process would be difficult if I have to pull books for all
of 3-4-5.  Obviously, this would be easier if students were coming into the
library but we have many procedures in place to make sure everything is
staying sanitized.  I'm not sure how to manage the students entering the
library because they TOUCH EVERYTHING!!   Good luck and I hope this helps.

JoAnne Sundberg
Manor Hill LRC
(630) 827-4344

On Mon, Feb 1, 2021 at 10:50 AM Jennifer Muzzy via AISLE <

> All our "specials" classes will be going from online instruction only to
> having full classes of students in the library in regular classes in 2
> weeks.  (we've had students in the buildings for shortened days, and
> specials were exclusively taught by Google Meet and video making.)
>
> Anyone in a similar situation--ideas to manage book checkout?  Should we
> offer booktalks and books on a cart to select from without touching them?
> Release students to go to the bookshelves a few at a time?
>
> I am overjoyed, but admittedly a little overwhelmed, and would love to
> hear advice on this situation.  Thank you in advance!
>
> --
> Jennifer Muzzy
> Librarian
> Riddle Elementary School
> Mattoon, IL 61938
> jennifermuzzy at mcusd2.com
>

> This is a staff email account managed by Mattoon Community Unit School
> District 2.  This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential
> and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they
> are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the
> sender.MAILMAN_MIMEDEFANG

*E-MAIL CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: Illinois has a very broad public
records law.  Most written communications (including email) to or from
school district officials and staff are public records available to the
public and media upon request.  Your email communications may therefore be
subject to public disclosure.  Lombard School District 44.*