[aisle] Guidance on performing EDI audit on library collection and/or text selection/review across academic departments

Erin Wyatt ejdwyatt at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 14:33:06 CST 2021

RAILS hosted a webinar in October led by some folks in the children's
department at the Glen Ellyn public library who  shared their diversity
audit process of the children's collection. You can view the recording at
https://www.railslibraries.info/events/255591
These librarians laid out their thought process and action steps in
implementing their audit which was helpful for me to get a concrete model.

Here's a description of the program:
"As library collections evolve to meet community needs, it is important to
evaluate the representation included in each collection and assess where
gaps can be filled. Implementing a diversity audit is critical to
understanding the current state of your collection and developing plans for
ongoing improvement. In this webinar, participants will learn how to create
and execute a diversity audit, evaluate materials for inclusivity, and
develop an action plan for diversifying their collections.

Presented by Sophie Kenney, Cathy Mori, and Katy Almendinger of Glen Ellyn
Public Library, this program was made possible by funding from a RAILS EDI
Training Grant. It was recorded on Tuesday, October 18, and runs for
approximately 75 minutes."

Best,

Erin

On Mon, Nov 22, 2021 at 2:19 PM Neha Thakkar via AISLE <

> Here are some items we collected over the summer, and maybe we could try
> meeting up again (my fault, I didn't get it together to meet again over the
> summer!)
>

> https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/14GKCCQaEpd5J9Qu6pRNklguhVltaZbSe?usp=sharing
>

> Hope this helps!
>

> Neha Thakkar
> M.Ed, MLIS
> Pronouns: she/her/hers
> 630-452-5317
> | nehathakkar114 at gmail.com
> Socials: @mrsthakkar <https://maps.google.com/?q=Socials:+@mrsthakkar>Pronounce
> My Name <https://namedrop.io/nehathakkar1>
>
> <https://www.linkedin.com/in/neha-thakkar-43a841b/>
> <http://instagram.com/mrsthakkar> <http://facebook.com/mrsthakkar>
> <http://twitter.com/mrsthakkar> <http://thakkarsthinkers.blogspot.com/>
> <https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU2VTjJP72SJCfvDVFAyl2w> [image:
> Pronounce My Name] <https://www.pinterest.com/mrsthakkar>
>

> On Mon, Nov 22, 2021 at 2:07 PM Lauren Ochs via AISLE <
>
>> I haven't started my own diversity audit yet, but I have been looking at
>> resources to do so.
>>
>> Kelsey Bogan has some great explanations and tips on her blog. Here is
>> one of the posts:
>> https://dontyoushushme.com/2020/06/15/diversity-audit-a-practical-guide/
>>
>> I also used materials from the Teen Librarian Toolbox blog -
>> https://www.teenlibrariantoolbox.com/2017/11/doing-a-diversity-audit-understanding-your-local-community/
>>
>> *Lauren Ochs *
>> School Librarian
>> Mahomet-Seymour High School
>> lochs at ms.k12.il.us
>>

>> On Mon, Nov 22, 2021 at 2:00 PM Sheila McNair via AISLE <
>> aisle at list.railslibraries.info> wrote:
>>
>>> Pardon the long subject line! I am new to school libraries. I would like
>>> to conduct an audit on our library collection using an EDI lens. Does
>>> anyone have any tips or places they could refer me for assistance?
>>>

>>> Secondly, I’d like to humbly ask if any one has an existing procedure in
>>> place for school-wide text section and review processes, would they mind
>>> sharing?
>>>

>>> Of course, I would be using any help as guidance. I just need some
>>> starting points.
>>>

>>> I so appreciate any help. Have a nice holiday!
>>>
>>> --
>>> *Sheila McNair*
>>> Librarian
>>> Academic Prep Tutoring Coordinator
>>> (708) 453-9340
>>> smcnair at trinityhs.org <azoeller at trinityhs.org>
>>>
>>> Trinity High School
>>> 7574 Division Street, River Forest, IL  60305
>>> Main Line: 708.771.8383
>>> www.trinityhs.org <http://www.trinityhs.org/BeABlazer>
>>>  [image: Trinity High School]
>>> MAILMAN_MIMEDEFANG
>>>
>>> https://www.aisled.org/
>>

>> *Confidentiality Notice: This message and any attachment thereto is for
>> the sole use of the intended recipient(s), and is covered by the Electronic
> [...]

*Erin Wyatt, Ph.D. (she, her)*
Adjunct Faculty, SOIS at Dominican University
Learning Center Director, Highland Middle School in Libertyville
@ejdwyatt