[aisle] Late Fees for Books

Dawn Scuderi scuderi.dawn at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 17:36:48 CST 2022

When I started at my current position 3 years ago, I did away with fines.
I feel it keeps kids from checking out books from the library.  They
are always worrying about having to pay a fee.  Also feel it is unfair to
our free reduced kiddos.  I agree that kids are more likely to return books
as opposed to holding on to them to avoid the fine.

I do charge for loss... I allow kids the option of paying it outright,
bringing in a used copy or ordering from Amazon to replace but it has to be
hard cover for hard cover.

There was considerable push back last year as some teachers wanted it
reinstated as a way of enforcing accountability.  I sent my administrator
several articles on why libraries have done away with it and have not heard
a word about it since.

I am in a 7/8.

Hope this helps...

Dawn

On Mon, Nov 28, 2022 at 8:30 AM Anita Beaman via AISLE <